Thursday 3 September 2009

Great Marrows from Little Courgettes Grow!

I've been spending quite a bit of time in the kitchen recently rather than the garden as the autumn flow of produce begins; apples, blackberries (from the hedgrows), plums, damsons etc, all requiring some kind of preserving. This morning I thought I'd take a look in the greenhouse to see how many courgettes I might have waiting...no courgettes, but three absolutely enormous marrows! Had it really been so long since my last trip to the kitchen garden or was my eyesight failing that I didn't notice these ever expanding courgettes. So I thought I'd better harvest one and see how much it weighed in at...to my amazement it registered 9lbs 3 ozs - almost the same weight as my younger son M when he was born, though quite a different shape!

If you have a look on Holly Grove Kitchen you'll see how I managed to use this unexpected bounty...now what to do with the remaining two!

No comments: